Program design

  • The HKUST MBA program nurtures global leaders who can speak their minds and work well with others in a wide range of cultural contexts. It will develop your ability to manage a career successfully in the global economy, and operate a business effectively in the Chinese context.
  • jiaCurriculum
  • The curriculum is composed of 45 credits, with around 60% gained through studying required courses and the remaining 40% through elective courses.

  • jiaTeaching Modes and Assessment
  • Our teaching modes and methods of assessment vary between courses to ensure that you gain the most benefit from the interactive course content, faculty members, fellow students, and invited guests. Lectures comprise only 30% of course delivery, with the remainder taken up by discussions, seminars, case analysis, simulation, individual and group projects, and presentations. These modes maximize the use of case-based interactive learning, using real-life business cases from within Greater China and the rest of the world. The language of instruction for all courses is English.

    Methods of assessment differ between courses but can include class participation, individual assignments, group projects and presentations, quizzes, and exams, depending on the nature of the course. Faculty members select the appropriate mix of delivery and assessment for the best teaching results.

    To maximize the diversity of each group and the opportunities to appreciate new and often challenging perspectives, the MBA Office assigns student groups to required courses based on their academic and industry backgrounds.

  • jiaProgram Schedule
  • Students are expected to complete the MBA in 24 months. The part-time MBA program operates Saturday classes at HKUST Clear Water Bay Campus. A typical class day starts at 9am and ends at around 6pm. Some electives are offered on weekday evenings in downtown.

    The detail of course schedule is shown in the following table:

    Term Course Detail
    Year One
    Summer Aug Non-credit bearing:
    MBA Accelerator
    Immersion Program with required course
    “Preparing to Lead”
    Fall Sep – Dec Required Courses
    Data Analysis
    Financial Accounting Foundations
    Global Macroeconomics
    Management Accounting Foundations
    Winter Jan Required Course
    Management of Organizations
    Spring Feb – May Required Courses
    Corporate Finance
    Managerial Microeconomics
    Marketing Strategy & Policy
    Operations Management
    Summer Jun - Aug Required Courses
    Strategic Management
    Information & Technology Management
    Year Two
    Fall Sep – Dec Electives (8 credits)
    Winter Jan Required Course
    Managerial Communications
    Spring Feb – May Electives (8 credits)
    Summer Jun - Aug Required Courses
    Responsible Leadership & Ethics
    Time to Lead
  • jiaMBA Accelerator
  • Required for all students, the Accelerator is conducted in the beginning of the program to ensure every student has the basic accounting concepts and quantitative and spreadsheet skills for the MBA studies.

  • jiaCourse Exemptions
  • If you have already taken postgraduate courses equivalent to the required courses offered by the HKUST MBA program, you can apply for exemptions. However, you will be required to replace the exempted courses with electives of equal credits. You will also need to provide supporting documents such as course syllabuses or an academic transcript for approval; otherwise an exemption exam will be required.

  • jiaGlobal Real Estate Master Program (GREM)
  • Recent graduates of HKUST MBA can enroll in GREM at the Wisconsin School of Business and earn the degree after studying for a semester there.

    GREM is consistently ranked among the top three programs in the country by U.S. News & World Report. Students will study 5 focused courses in real estate principles and fundamentals with those from other global partner schools.

    For more details, please visit:

  • jiaMaster of Advanced Management Program at Yale
  • As a partner school of the Global Network for Advanced Management at Yale, HKUST now offers its MBA students and alumni a chance to enroll in this master program to deepen the understanding of complex management issues facing leaders worldwide.

    Please visit Yale’s website for more information:

    HKUST MBA students can also enroll in online courses and participate in the Global Network Weeks offered by other network schools. In the Global Network Weeks, students from different schools will attend classes, tour local businesses and meet business executives together.

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
HKUST Business School, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: (852)  2358-7539    Fax: (852)  2705-9596